Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mission: Sleeping Through the Night

Alright, it has been 5 months of terrible sleep. Everyone who told me... "Enjoy sleeping in now, those days are numbered!" I had nooo idea. These days, I consider it a good night when I get up once between 10-6am. (Albeit I am 'up' for about half an hour, diaper change, feed, burp). My mission: to sleep for a period longer than 5 hours at night. Not to much to ask is it??

The Plan:
My daughter currently wakes up at 2ish to eat, then sleeps until 6-7am. Often, she isn't particularly hungry when she gets up. After a recent stormy night, she woke up at 1:30, ate, and got up at the usual time. I thought if I could keep feeding her progressively earlier each night...
Night 1- woke herself up 1:30 ate, up at 6:30
Night 2- I got her up 1:30, changed her diaper, fed her, slept until 6:50
Night 3- She woke up at 1am!!! Ate, slept until 6:40
Tonight--- setting my alarm for 1am
Tomorrow- setting alarm for 12:50... and so on 10 minutes earlier each night

Wish me luck!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Tina I'm with you! I feed Chloe around 10pm but she only lasts until 1 or 2 am, so I feed her again and then she wakes up to feed at 4 or 5 am. Finally she wakes up at 7 or 8 am for the day. Last night was brutal she woke up at 1130pm, 130am, 345 am, 5am (and was up till 6am) then woke again at 7am. The baby wisperer says if you feed them between 10 - 11pm they should last until 4 or 5am but that is not my experience. Lately my longest stretch of sleep is 2 hours! Any ideas on how I can get at least 4 or 5 hours of sleep in a row??? Good news is she is finally napping in her basinette (instead of on me) but she only naps for 45 min. at a time... xo annie (aka sleepless in vancouver)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope things are better now Annie. All I can say is try your best to let her fuss a bit first. Letting them develop the skills to fall asleep on their own is the greatest gift you can give. One book said 'you can't play sandman forever'. But also, we need to survive... sometimes feeding them is an easy solution when you're exhausted!

    ReplyDelete